Thursday, September 11, 2008

I'm cheap and easy.

And I like it that way.

This is one of my favorite quick go-to meals and I try to keep all the ingredients on hand.

Rubber Burritos


You need -
salsa
rice
refried beans
chili beans
green chilis

Bring a cup of salsa to a boil and add a cup of instant rice, then cover it until the rice is cooked. Mix in the other ingredients and you're done.

That was hard, huh? (actually I usually toss in garlic, cumin, chili powder, taco seasoning, etc. too.)

What I actually love about this is how versatile it is.
If I have corn, I add it in.
Canned tomatoes? Sure, toss them in.
Cooked hamburger or pulled pork? MmmHmmm.
Roll it in tortillas with cheese, guacolome, and sour cream for burritos.
Serve it over shredded lettuce and crushed tortilla chips for a taco salad.
If you have just a small amount of this leftover, you can mix it with melted velveeta and have a dip for chips.

You can stretch this recipe to feed TONS of people if needed. Just keep adding ingredients! Add more beans. Add more rice. Add more veggies. Whatever.

Yes, I shop at WalMart and yes I buy store brands. Like I said, I'm cheap and easy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there . . . Sorry it has been so long since I have stopped by. It took a while for me to gain enough stamina to sit at the computer and blog after my emergency surgery almost four weeks ago.

I am doing pretty good now and getting back to life.

I will be posting kitchen pictures as the progress continues. I am ready for the finished kitchen, I am excited that this next week will bring more progress toward the goal!!!

Have a great weekend and STAY DRY!

Dana said...

I love meals that work with what I have on hand . . . and can feed an army if I need them too. This one is right up my alley.

The Vintage Kitten said...

Hello, Thanks so much for your comment on Debbies blog. Ive left a reply on there for everyone but wanted to stop by and say thankyou to you. Mandy
P.S.By the way Im cheap and easy too LOL!

Meghan said...

I too am cheap & easy.
Ask the husband.
Exactly one year to the day I met him, I was due with our son.
Wait!
You didn't mean that kind of cheap & easy.
Oops!


I am going to give this recipe a try!!!
Sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVE A BLOGGY AWARD - COME ON BY AND GET IT!!!

HUGS GIRL!

Southerner said...

Thanks for telling me what the mystery green balls were. We weren't going to eat them in case you were worried about us. We have juggled with them, thrown them as hard as we could on the road trying to break them open, and then I finally got them all in a bowl for the table.

I love food that you can just add mmore to when you need to stretch it. I have 5 kids with 3 teens and friends of theirs over all the time so constantly have to stretch meals to feed extras. The erratic housewife freezes burritos so her kids can grab one and heat in the microwave. I haven't tried that yet, but keep meaning to.

Debra said...

LOL...I am so glad I am not the only one that buys GV!! My husband and daughter call me the GV Queen!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ cheap and easy!

Jessica said...

I love cheap and easy! I am def going to have to try this one out!