Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Screaming...

Did any of you happen to see Dr. Oz on Oprah yesterday talking about night terrors? I sat and cried while watching it because The Girl has suffered from night terrors since she was a toddler. It's so incredibly frustrating for all of us! She wakes up the entire family, gets violent, screams like a maniac, etc. and has no memory of it in the morning. And of course she's super tired the next day because she hasn't gotten good sleep when she's had terrors. It's a bad cycle. And the more tired she is the more likely she is to have terrors.

Lately there have been a lot of episodes of her puking in her sleep. There is no apparent reason for it, no virus, no other symptoms, and she wakes in the morning feeling fine - just covered in yuck. I've wondered if this is related to the terrors in some way but I don't know. We have a doctor appointment in the morning to start looking into it further.

I have no point to this post, just rambling.

Update: So after a few different tests it was determined that she has severe reflux that's causing the puking. It has nothing to do with the terrors. She's on medication now and so hopefully that issue will be under control. YaY!

1 comment:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Our now 16 year old had night terrors. She would look at you like she was awake but she was not awake.

I spoke with a friend whose daughter did this as well, and the one thing we both thought was that it was related to them "waking" up to go potty but not really waking up, if you follow me. If we could get them to wake enough to go potty, we could get them back in bed, and they were out cold.

My daughter would often be calling out for me during these episodes but she couldn't find me - even with me holding her and talking to her.