Monday, May 19, 2008

Saving dough....

One of my hobbies is saving money. I'm not "cheap" to the point of being tacky, by any means, but if I can save a dime I get such a rush out of it! That means more money to spend shopping on etsy or to save for Disney.

So here are a few tips.

-When you make juice from frozen concentrate, add an extra can of water. You can't taste the difference.

-Tear dryer sheets in half.

-Use half of the suggested amounts on laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent.

-Do at least one meat free day a week. If you're cooking for a family this will create a noticeable savings!

-Hang your laundry to dry, if you can. If you need to fluff it, just throw it in for a few minutes when it's nearly dry.

-Cut out alcohol and cigarettes.

-Stretch meals with pasta (whole wheat), rice, and potatoes when you can.

-Shop thrift stores in nice areas of town. They'll likely have name brand items for dirt cheap.

-Recycle as much as you can.

-Create meals based on what food items are on sale that week.

What tips do you have for saving your pennies?

4 comments:

Attic Clutter said...

Oh great fun tips ...well lets see what do I do to save a penny.. I do shop at the goodwill and garage sales get lots of my clothes and the grandsons there...I also have a house filled with G-sale furniture I paint or refinished if needed.. I water the plants with the left over water my husband leaves in his bottled water/bottle(:) hehe
I have to admit I have washed out and reused the gallon freezer bags .. only if there wasn't meats in them the first time around..
WELL you are fun ..will add you to my blog list of favorites..Patty

Julie L. Light said...

I use some of these great tips and I learned a few new ones, too! I actually clip coupons and my local Wal mart does "ad matching" so I bring in ads from other stores thay may have sale prices that week.

Since my sister and I like a lot of the same magazines, we share them and also pass them on to other friends and family when we are finished with them (I don't give away my craft, art or home decor magazines, though...I hoard those :-).

Dana said...

Good tips. Hmmmm. Let's see. What can I add??

Grow a vegetable garden.

Ride a bike when and where you can.

Carpool.

Convenience foods don't really save that much time . . . and cost lots more money. Instead find things that you can make yourself. They cost less and are more healthy.

Sew Gracious said...

I use coupons when I can. I don't buy something just because I have a coupon for it, but if it's something I use anyway, I make sure to use coupons on it.

Thanks for sharing some other tips like using less detergent in the washer & DW. I never thought about using half dryer sheets!