Sunday, March 23, 2008

Smack yo mama pork chili.

Pork makes me happy. Almost as happy as caffeine and dark chocolate. I do love me some pork. So obviously pork chili is a staple around here.

Here's the deal. Cook a pork roast. It can be a super cheap cut, just throw it in the crockpot and let it cook all day long. Now you're gonna have a LOT of pork so pull some of it aside for BBQ Pork sandwiches or freeze it for Pork Fried Rice or something. You're creative. Just get rid of some of it because you don't need all of it for the chili.

Now take these -


It's just a large can of tomatoes and a bottle of green salsa, and dump them into a large pot. If you haven't tried green salsa you must. It's insanely good to use in soups and such. (I never say "and such" in person but somehow typing it makes it okay.) Add in that pork you've been drooling over as well as some cumin, garlic, and onion. Heavy on the garlic and cumin. Let this simmer until the pork is falling apart, then put two forks into the pot and shred it some more to help it along. Meanwhile I like to make some rice.



When your pork is sufficiently shredded and everything in the pot looks happy, go ahead and dish up your rice. Then scoop this deliciousness over the rice and top it with a dallop of sour cream. (I'll never be a professional Daisy dalloper but that's okay with me. Really it is.)


Ohhh mama. Holy. Sweet. Goodness. This is so good it'll make you want to smack your mama! But don't really. She brought you into this world and was probably pretty good to you during your childhood. Just smack the table if you must smack something.

I have a tortilla ready to sop up the remainder. But you could serve this rolled inside the tortillas with cheese for a yummy messy burrito if you wanted. Or use a slotted spoon and serve it over salad and crushed tortilla chips for a shredded pork taco salad. Or just stand next to the stove and eat it all straight out of the pot. Whatever.

4 comments:

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

You sold me on it! Too bad I didn't read it before my trip to the store today!

Moodwax said...

Thanks for the tip about the green salsa. It's going on my shopping list. Gotta dust off that crockpot.

The Downtown Boutique said...

Beki! This looks amazing! We just had a chili cook-off at church. I wish we had seen this first! My hubby did come in 3rd place though...with a great turkey chili.

We'll have to try this!

Anonymous said...

this sounds like something even i can cook!